Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Mall hopping!

I have to confess I am a mall rat. There's a certain joy in strolling around malls, gazing at the shops, taking in the aromas at the food courts. My favourite malls in Bombay are InOrbit at Malad and Infiniti at Lokhandwala (Wonder why the Cinemax housed in the mall is called Cinemax, Versova? My guess is because Versova is even more upmarket than Lokhandwala!)

Speaking of InOrbit, it has to be one of the best managed and maintained malls in Bombay, if not the outright best. There are a few good shops there as well. The Imagine Store, which retails Apple products is one I frequent. I also liked this concept store called the Colour Factory, where one can paint one's own ceramic articles, available in different shapes and have them fired and glazed for a small amount. Pretty neat concept and makes for highly personalised gifts for family and friends. Among the food shops I'd recommend the Nando's restaurant and the Gelato shop which has definitely among the best gelatos in the suburbs.

Infiniti is another favourite, largely due to the Landmark there. It's a treat to browse among their huge collection of books and music CDs. It also has some decent food outlets and a large Westside. The Cinemax is good as well.

The mall I'm curious and excited about nowadays is the Oberoi mall on the highway at Goregaon. It's taken some time to come up and opened a few days back. It has a Lifestyle store, Bombay's first Central store (Hyderabad and Bangalore residents would know what I'm talking about) and a PVR cinema. What I'm more interested in knowing is about the food court and the othere shops there. In fact I'll be checking it out today and will blog on it soon.

Well that's it for now. Take care. See ya!

2 comments:

random musings of a lost philospher said...

I HATE MALLS!!!not just dislike, mildly disapprove,frown upon..but genuinely LOATHE them!I fester a heart felt negative disgust towards these huge human dumping grounds!

I spent 2 hours last night at the Oberoi mall.Being a materialist in parts, I do admire the frenzy of emotions that '50% off' signs cause in me, but seriously, after a point I just went numb.

Without exxagerating, there was a very looong moment when I stood on the top most floor, peering over the railing next to the food court,and I felt sharp a pang of anxiety and an irrational panic attack. To see throngs and throngs of people stream in..and out,human beings crammed in elevators to bursting capacity...the food court spilling with queues to pay 130 bucks for a sandwitch!!!!

I froze in my place...thoughts running through my head...
*where the hell do people have so much disposable income from?
*whatever happened to watching a movie with plain popcorn & samosas?
*why does everybody want to buy the same things andstrut around like it was a single designer piece?
* why do we need so many varieties of the same different things anyways?
*whatever happened to the good old days when shopping for new things was an occassion?
* why do we clammer to buy insanely non-exclusive over-priced stuff, that even after a 50%off, is ridiculously expensive?
*why would we choose to be shoved, nudged, ignored, walked through in a crowd of anonymous faces and believe that its fun?
* why am I standing here, doing exactly that, what has so horrified me?
* is THIS what we have come to believe is entertainment,relaxing?
*WHAT is wrong with this generation? WHAT is wrong with young people like ME? WHAT is wrong with this city that is busy replictaing buildings with the same layout, creating clones of uninspiring, unimaginative structures that makes shopping/eating/relaxaing one of the most seriously tedious tasks I can ever think of?!?!
*Jesus christ!! Men & women choose to go on dates in places like these!!( a man who asks me out on a date at a mall, is dead meat!history!Burnt toast!)
* I dont even want to begin to think/talk/write about my shopping experience!!

I was woken up, or rather shoved rudely from my reverie, by an elderly couple carrying a pplate of chole bhature! I hurried into the elevator and stuffed my self in,( could'nt trust my feet to carry me 3 stories down, even if it's on the escalator!) and counted upto tic-tic 18,kept telling myself that I cant slap/konk/strangle the wailing kid cos its not her fault( She was protesting! even the 2 yrs old DIDNT want to be here!Seriously,I think kids below 6 have so much more sense that any adult ever!), shot out of the match box even before the doors cud open fully and ran...ran for my life and sanity.

SWEAR BY MY LONELY PLANET, I WILL STEP INTO ANOTHER MALL ONLY IF IT'S A MATTER OF LIFE & DEATH...that too only if its MY life on line!!!

U are right Mihir, a mall rat! Thats how I felt! A rat admist a thousand rats all scampering over each other!

P.S: A new phrase I've coined...inspired by road rage.Yeah! U guessed it-MALL RAGE!!!

Mihir said...

Hmmm...mall rage is an understatement don't you think? :)

Why the sustained rise in the number and popularity of malls over the last few years? For one higher prosperity levels of the Indian middle class. Where does this disposable income come from? From a booming economy which is growing steadily, creating more jobs which are better paying.

As regards paying exorbitant prices for common food items, can't one say that about almost everything else money can buy? One could also apply the same logic to 5 star hotels, which are way more pricey than malls. And this extends to all items of luxury. But then aren't cheap and expensive relative terms? What may be an impulsive purchase for one may well be a once in a lifetime one for another. What matters is that the choice rests with the consumer, and that there is something available at all price points.

Ok K, I'm going to end this reply here, but I'm not finished yet so I'll complete my reply tomorrow.